We learned that rather than spend a chunk of change on breakfast in the hotel, we can walk around the corner for a cheap breakfast at McDonalds.
We learned that although we can save on breakfast, we will have to buy two umbrellas to walk back to the hotel in the sudden downpour.
We learned that it is hard to say no to a homeless guy asking for breakfast.
We also learned that it would have been cheaper to just give him a few bucks instead of actually letting him order breakfast. He was hungry! His breakfast cost as much as the two of ours combined.
We learned the short way to the riverboat cruise after taking the long way to get there.
On our 90 minute cruise, we learned a lot about the architecture in Chicago, and a lot about the history of the Chicago River and Lake Michigan. Our guide informed us, the city of Chicago has more boat slips on Lake Michigan than the city of San Diego has on the Pacific Ocean. Of course you can only use the boat for about 4-months.
We learned that Ringo Starr is getting old, but we’re still excited to see him in person! (Can you pick out his wife, Barbara Bach in the picture).
We learned that we could have spent a lot more time in the Art Institute of Chicago. It’s huge! This is one of the many, many, many paintings and pieces of art work in the museum. This painting titled The Asssumption of the Virgin painted in 1577 - 1579 by Domenikos Theotokopoulos. He became known as El Greco and is called one of the greatest masters of mannerism.
We learned that the Navy Pier is a long way to WALK for dinner, especially after a long day of WALKING!
We also learned that there is a free shuttle bus that runs all day from near our hotel to the Pier.
We learned that it has been a while since we’ve seen the movie Forrest Gump, and that we don’t remember some of the dumb trivia from the movie to answer questions from our waiter at Bubba Gumps:
What was Forrest’s girlfriend’s name? (Jenny)
What color were the shoes she wore at their wedding? (She didn’t wear shoes, she was a hippie!)
When Forrest went to Vietnam, where was he shot? (In the buttocks!)
Why did Forrest say it was good to be shot in the buttocks? (Because you got to eat all the ice cream you want.)
(Just hand over the food mister…we’ve just walked fifty miles to eat here!)
We learned that the guys who sit on the streets with cups asking for money actually stay there ALL DAY LONG!
We also learned that the guy who tricks you into having your shoes shined wants to be paid for his annoying interruption of your desperate walk back to the hotel for some relief from the shoes you have on your feet. They’re dirty walking shoes…I really don’t care – LEAVE ME ALONE! Besides, what in the heck is it that he’s squirting all over my shoes anyway!
We’ve also learned that although I’ve walked approximately 300 miles in these dirty shoes, my thighs don’t seem to have shrunk one bit! It’s probably that evil popcorn!
14 comments:
I couldn't believe how many posts you had up so quickly. Good thing for lap tops and digital cameras. You two have done A LOT since you've been in the city. It's amazing what you can do when you don't have to worry about nap time, more nap time, and bed time! And I guess dad isn't one to waste time on a vacation. I'm still terribly upset that I wasn't invited on this trip, and there really is only one way you can make it up to me...if you catch my drift. So, happy birthday Ringo Starr, and enjoy the "Windy City" or "Chi (pronounced 'shy') Town" as my roommate calls it.
Ha ha....if I were with you, the 10 minute walk really would be a 10 minute walk! Remember how fast I walked when you picked me up from the mission? I wonder if I still walk that fast...probably not, but still fast. Sounds like you guys are having fun! Dad is always so generous...buying homeless people breakfast...Anyway, I have more posts to read, so more comments coming soon...
oops...this is really Robyn
I LOVE Chicago. One of my favorite cities. I've had that popcorn, and it is worth the wait, no?
Also, the sucker mothers in the American Girl store carting around merchandise for their six year old? I'm one of those suckers/moms. I LOVE that place.
Wow. I can't believe how much you've seen in such a short amount of time. So, is that the popcorn that Oprah raves about? Next time you visit Chicago I want to come. I don't care if you have to pack me in your suitcase...I'm coming!
So....since you got to see Ringo at a distance and I know you guys does that mean I have almost met someone famous??
Wow it sounds like you guys are having a great time even though you get to walk and walk and walk. I am sure you look stunning in your walking shoes and capris, no one knows you there so it is okay. Thanks for sharing Chicago, I think it will be awhile if ever until I get there.
WOW! YOU DO KNOW HOW TO HAVE FUN. what a great story. I'm glad you saved money ha ha. Is Ringo Starr still alive? He must be really old, older than me even, which is really old. Its amazing how much you can do when its just the two of you. Great pics You forget that when you have little ones. Have a great time love ya
How fun...Dan and I are supposed to be going to the Caymans in September. Stay tuned I'm not so sure it will happen but reading this made me really want to get away without the kids. Is that bad, they're fun but well you understand sometimes its so fun to just be together. Sounds like you're enjoying all the sites. The popcorn sounds really good!
Love ya,
Beck
This is one of the cities in the US that we want to go to. Love all the pictures of the things going on in Chicago.
Oh Diane, it looks like you had a great time!! Except for all the walking. (smile)
you will be blessed for the HUGE meal you provided to one hungry man, but yeah, nex time buy the food first and then hand it to him on the way back. (smile)
I love the pictures!
Yeah no kidding about the Bubba Gumps, shut up and bring my food aready PUNK. (smile) I hate when I have to interact with the person taking the order and all I want to do is eat the whole restaurant.sp. (smile)
Love ya,
Aimee
You really should have had me with you. You have made a lot of memories. Love the pictures and all of the places you are being able to see. What's with the popcorn and why is it so special??
I'm so glad you've had some fun! You deserve it!!
I really want some popcorn
Dine, Sounds like a great trip, Chicago has a lot of history. I looked at Ringo and thought Who cares but, Ringo was a big part of our growing up years and it is fun to have captured a picture. You and Bob were at the right place at the right time. Pen and I are 5 yrs older and I dont care whats on my feet as long as I can walk. Comfort it the name of the game. I dont care if my fat arms hang out or my bum is so wide I cant pull my stupid shirt down over it or the rolls cascading over my ribs. I am out to have my cheese cake and eat it too. Im thinking this is as good as it gets!! Its all about being ok with ourselves. So that is what they tell you. Whatever. I like to eat and I like my bread with butter on it. I like Baked Alaska. I like a great steak with A1 sauce. I know that when I die my body will be perfect! So eat drink and be marry cuz when you die you will be skinny and perfect and they dont serve steak!! Love ya Pat
Dine,
Hey I'm finally blogging and where are you???I know you are busy but, come on. Love ya Pat
Post a Comment